Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lesson 23 - Instrument (Re)Training

More details to come, but I got another 1.2 hours today, primarily flying by instruments "under the hood."

Well, I promised I would fill this in more. Just before Labor Day, I got another flight in, it was more training on instruments. I need some additional study here, this was a tough shake up. I thought I wouldn't have problems, but was very rusty, even on the fundamentals. Jack had me in tune to VOR frequencies, identify the radial I was on (psst Dennis! turn center the needle with a FROM indicator!), then turn to different courses at standard rate turns (boy it is a slow turn), intercept different radials (hey you! yah you funny looking one! set your radial with a FROM indicator, once the needle starts to move, quick rotate it 180 degrees, it should say TO, and fly towards the needle!). Anyway, it was a (re)learning experience. It's really challenging to control altitude, speed, and course just by looking at the instruments and subtle throttle control. I can see why so many pilots don't get their IR ticket, it takes a lot of concentration and headwork!!


1 comment:

Proprietors of Chateau del Mulsoff said...

This post holds the record for THEE shortest in your blog.

Glad to see you are still up in the air, dear brother!

miss you already...