Monday, April 27, 2009

Drat! Weather and Waukesha!

Well, I've had two lessons cancelled in the last couple days.  On Friday after work, I was schedule for a 5:30 flight.  Around 4:30 pm, my CFI called and said it was quite gusty, not great learning conditions (up to 30 kts).  I agreed I wasn't in the mood to be tossed around, good thing, about 30 minutes later some serious thunderstorms moved into the area super fast, by 5:15 pm it was hailing nickel size hail.  Laura keeps telling me the Lord is teaching me patience now.  No worries, I got another lesson on Monday I thought.  

So today comes along, I am watching weather all day, current conditions had ceilings hovering around 1000 ft AGL, not good.  So when Jack called around 4:30 again, I figured he was saying ceilings were just too low, despite improving to about 2500 ft AGL.  Surprisingly, he was in Waukesha for a last minute training session.  Although they took the jet, it was unlikely he would make it back before 6 pm.  Nuts.  He apologized, he mistimed his return he said, but was possible he could get back.  Still a glimmer of hope, I was a little late getting out of work, so I swung by the airport, hoping to catch Jack there by a stroke of luck.  Nope, around 5:45 pm, the FBO was silent.  Drat, spoiled again!  Oh well, I have another scheduled this week, and I might try to sneak in another, but we'll see.  This is part of flying, and besides as the old adage goes... "It's much better being on the ground wishing you were in the air, rather than being in the air wishing you were on the ground!"  Can't disagree with that!

Of course, as I pen this blog, I just checked conditions at KEAU.  Winds calm, clear skies, drat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your lovely wife is correct. Patience my dear is a virture.
Don't think you will be going anymore this week, at least here, the weather is going to be a bit stormy.