Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lesson 3: Love it up here!

Rectangular Courses, Turns Around a Point
Well I returned to EAU on Saturday, April18th for my second lesson. I was very excited for this lesson, still coming off my high from the first real lesson. When we got there, since the plane had not been run since this morning, we did a full equipment checklist (a normal part of every flight). The plane POH (Plane Owners Handbook - I think) has detailed checklists on what should be inspected. I won't repeat the entire checklist here, I am actually working on customizing my own checklist to make sure I don't miss anything and so its relevant to the aircraft I am flying, i.e. I noticed several items on the checklist that my instructor said, ah skip it, the piece of equipment isn't on this plane. But in brief, we turned on the master switch in the cabin, checked fuel, lights, and flaps. Shut off master switch, then walked around the plane to check the condition.

After checking weather, dialed up ground and starting taxing to the runway. Got to our runup area, Jack let me run through the entire runup procedures. Nifty! Then asked tower for clearance to take off, onto the runway we went. Jack let me attempt to keep us centered which was a little more challenging than I thought, torque really wanted to pull the left, so I had to compensate with right rudder. The nose wheel shimmied a lot more than last time so Jack pitched up just a bit to get the nose wheel off the ground, then we accelerated to takeoff speed and off we went. This time to the northwest.

Now we practiced some of which we did last time, level flight, turns. We also did something a little newer, transitions! Boy this was tough! Basically you are asked to maintain your current altitude but change speeds. This required a careful balance of pitching and adjustments in power. Hence: PITCH, POWER, TRIM! Much harder than it looked. I frequently was going too fast, and either way above my assigned altitude or way below. Although I did a little better keeping my turns coordinated, honestly I didn't feel it. I still have trouble detecting an uncoordinated turn in the seat of my pants. Did I mention the wind was a little stronger today with the occasional convective hot air columns, bouncing us up and down. I asked Jack a little later his thoughts on the severity of the bumps we felt, and he replied "minor." Well, it certainly didn't feel that way, it wasn't ridiculous, but it definitely contributed to my ability to control the plane.

Anyway, after a review of things from last time, we went on to doing rectangular courses in preparation for pattern work. This also included introduction to crab angles to compensate for the wind direction, which I found a bit mystifying to determine and then work with. We also tried turns around a point. After this practice, I began to tire a bit, I also remember mentioning I was having trouble with the wind. And of course, Jack replied, "You will always have wind, this is your airplane, control it and make it do what you want despite the wind." Right about then I was wondering if I would ever be able to remember all this stuff. I knew flying is challenging, but wow! So much to control the airplane, much less remembering where you are and how to navigate and communicate where you are going! Although I know every student pilot feels this, it's no easy challenge to learn to fly, which makes the accomplishment that much more rewarding.

Anyway, we decided to head back. Of course Jack asks, "Where is the airport?" I pointed in the exact opposite direction.... sigh.... Another realization, that it is again very different than maintaining your orientation on the ground than in the air. Jack let me pretty much control most of the approach and landing, although he really executed the final touchdown. Then taxi back to the hangar, shore up the plane, record our final time. And lesson #2 is in the books! Another 1.4 hours to the log book! Despite the difficulties, had another incredible time!

Oh, I realized flying can be just as physically exhausting than it is mentally. That evening by hips, lower legs (calfs), and arm hurt from all the rudder work and turning.

More pictures...





3 comments:

Proprietors of Chateau del Mulsoff said...

That...is a tiny plane. Wow. :)

Keep up the fantastic work! You look incredibly happy!

Dennis said...

I asked, but for some reason, they wouldn't let me train in this...

Airbus Beluga

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should consider the little airplanes that they have outside of grocery stores for kids to fly. That would make me feel better.
Just kidding!!
We are glad that your pursuing something that you really want to do.
Gonna have to get you some goggles, leather cap & scarf. Just like the Red Baron.
Continue to enjoy!!