Friday, May 29, 2009

Lesson 13 - More Progress

This will be another short entry, but a goodie.  After a week since my last lesson (my Wednesday lesson was cancelled for weather), I was eager to get back in the air.  Got to the airport around 5:20, Laura came again to watch, and there was perhaps some weather in the area.  We checked out the radar, and saw the clouds, but it looked good for a bit.  Got the plane preflighted, and taxied on charlie for runway 32.  We held short for a bit while a Menards jet was landing on another runway, once they were down, we were clear for some pattern work.  

First landing was ok, not great, I attributed it to knocking off some rust.  We had several landings, all not too bad, I then proceeded to have a really good landing, and got an "Excellent Landing!" from Jack.  We did 12 laps, most landings were decidedly better than last week.  I didn't have any more "Oh, my!"s from Jack, which was good.  Still working on that sight picture, getting a little better.  On one landing, we did a low approach, which is basically when we fly over the runway just a few feet above it the entire way, Jack took the controls and had me use the rudders to keep us straight.  This helped me understand a little better what it looks like to be straight down the runway.

I think I made some significant progress today, because Jack pulled the throttle again, and said "you lost your engines, now what?"  I was much faster to react this time, and got all the important stuff right:  
  • Pitch for best speed, which is 65 knots.  Technically I was going 75, but Jack said that was just fine since I didn't try to fixate on a speed, and concentrated on FLYING THE AIRPLANE!
  • I didn't let myself get too far away from the airport, I knew I had the longest runway, and turned to land on about 1/3 down the runway, good!
  • I did NOT extend flaps until I was over the runway, and had it "made".  That is VERY important, flaps introduce drag, and brings the plane down in less time (allows you to land with a steeper pitch, and slower speed).  When you are still not sure if you have your landing spot made, you want to get us much horizontal distance as you can.
On the final lap, I continued my streak of "bad" landings.  Although, this one I think I deserve a pass on.  As the weather started to move in, we could tell things were changing, on the downwind, the wind was moving us around quite a bit.  When we turned final, Jack asked, "you sure you got this?"  My approach was getting ugly, but I felt I still had control of the airplane, "I responded yeah, I got it."  The crosswind got worse, and Jack repeated, "you sure?", "I said, yeah, I think so", then on short final, Jack pressed again... "you sure?" , I then relented, "ok, maybe you should take it..."  Wise choice, it was shaping up for a really ugly landing, Jack got us lined up, he let me control the rudders again, and did an excellent crosswind landing... right tire, hold it..., then left, hold it..., then nose.  Wow, I image crosswind landings will continue to kick my butt for a while.

Overall, a much better flight.  For the first time, I started to believe it was possible for me to solo.  Probably still going to be several lessons away, but I am feeling more confident.  Another 1.2 hours, I now have 15 total, woot!

Oh, I called the FAA after submitted more paperwork for my "permanent" medical certificate.  They said the just mailed my cert, Yeeessssss!  I will save the celebration when I see the print in front of me, but it appears I've cleared another hurdle!

No comments: