Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lesson 14 - Am I ever going to get this!?

Aimlessly flying an airplane with no clue.
Probably one of the first posts I have absolutely no interest in writing. Today I had my most frustrating day yet, although I didn't have any atrocius landing, I really didn't have any great ones. Despite another 1.6 hours and 16 landings, I can't say I am any closer to soloing. Admitedly, I had some variable crosswinds to deal with today, but I just can't seem to get the fricken airplane pointed straight down the runway. The control inputs are a complete mystery to me, and it's really starting to tick me off. I get the concept, aileron into the wind, use the rudders to keep yourself straight. I had a brief "ah-ha!" moment when I realized that my rudder usage was weaker than a limp noodle, I really have to stomp on those damn pedals, there is a ton of resistance in a good crosswind. We did a couple low approaches, which helped a bit to visualize it, but I just can't do it! Despite Jack taking the throttle controls, all I had to do is use aileron and rudder to keep it centered, but I still couldn't manage it! I was floating one direction or the other, failed to keep it straight, it was so frustrating. And when I did have a glimmer that I might actually be catching on, after touchdown, I would "give-up", and fail to maintain my inputs.

This truly is a roller-coaster ride, and it really was the first moments while in the plane I wanted to quit, I was so angry with myself, even as I type now I am fuming. I have absolutely no natural flying talent, I am going to have to fight this all the way through the training. When you are accustomed to excelling at most ventures in life, its tough to admit that you naturally suck at something. After today, it will truly be a miracle if I solo in under 30 hours, I just don't see it happening. Jack has reassured me it will click eventually, but I am starting to lose some faith. Not to mention, on the final approach, either a bump or me wrenching on a control made me tweak my back, so I got spasms that is making for a fun afternoon. I have 3 more lessons this week, but if my back still hurts, I will cancel, I don't want to fly if I am physically hurting in anyway. What the hell am I doing?

3 comments:

yo mama said...

Don't beat yourself up!! This is such a new and exciting time in your life. And you are trying so hard to learn everything you can about flying a plane that you are trying way too hard to get it down as fast as you can. All it will take is one time, just one time, and you will be saying NOW I got it. Why did I think is was so hard.
You have come sooo far and are doing a great job. Try and sit back, relax, patience and it will all start to click.

Dennis said...

Thanks Mom, you are right, thanks!

Unknown said...

I echo Mom. These things take time; this is why they don't let someone go willy nilly after a little bit of training.

You will succeed, as you always do. You know the common denominator in all of your successes in life?

You never quit. :)