Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tough call, but the right one...

Well, yesterday, October 19th, I wanted to get some flight time in. Its been almost 3 weeks, and I can feel the rust forming, and I didn't want too much time to pass. My normal instructor, Jack, has been away this few weeks at jet school, I am so jealous, he is getting his type certification in Cessna Citation jets. There are two more instructors at the school, but both do their gig part-time, so I knew I was going to have a rough time finding some availability.

So, I make some calls, and arrange for some solo flight time at 5:00 pm. Weather was going to be the determining factor, or so I thought. I get to the airport, and the conditions are on the border of my limitations, wind at 11 knots, and setup for crosswind landings. Not to mention an hour earlier it was gusting to 17 knots. So, Chris my CFI for the day (who was actually the instructor that gave me my discovery flight) and I decided soloing was a no go. But I wanted to get a little time, he had to watch his kids for a bit, but said he'd be ready by 5:30. I said super, I will preflight and we'll be ready to roll when you get back.

Doing my preflight, checking flaps, drop to 30 degrees, watch, and I could swear I hear and see some hesitation. Hmmm, that was weird. So, I gave both flaps a good push and work around, and the left flap felt weird. Pushing down, in the opposite direction the wind would push, felt springy, the right flap was firm. I never remember the flap feeling so spongy like that, I didn't like it. So, Chris was a bit late getting back, now its 5:45 pm, and I tell him about the flap. He was also a little puzzled, as we brought the flap up and down a couple times. Then hopped over to the 172 to compare, and both flaps were firm when pushed. You could actually see when the flaps extend, a slight flex in the skin above the hinge point in the flap. So, Chris asked, "Done any no-flap landings yet?" I said, "Yes," but landing without flaps don't concern me. Extending the flaps and having one come down without the other one, and they don't retract, that's a serious problem. So, I cancelled the flight, Chris very much agreed, and added... "You have already had one scare, no need to tempt fate." With that deliberation, it was already 6:00 pm, a good hour behind, and we have about 20 minutes of light left. We considered going up in the 172, and even though I need night time, I told Laura I would be back by 7:00 and I really wasn't too thrilled to be flying at night in an unfamiliar plane, even with an instructor. So, I decided to pass, and try for another time.

Although a bit disappointed I didn't fly, I can't tell you how much better it feels make the no-go decision on the ground, rather than dealing with an emergency in the air.

Anyway, I should get another chance to fly next week, hopefully....

1 comment:

yo mama said...

Sorry that you weren't able to get up last night but if you weren't comfortable with the flaps, etc. you made a good call. And thank you for not telling me that you intended on flying during our call last night!