Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lesson 33 - Long Solo Cross Country


Whew! The last of the official requirements by the book is done. Although I didn't hit my goal of getting my checkride passed in May, I did complete all the requirements, alright!! Got back from 2.9 hours from my long cross country. A while back Paul had me plan out a flight to Merrill, then Wisconsin Rapids, then back to Eau Claire. I was really looking forward to this flight, my sister Amy and her family live in Merrill. So, this morning when it looked likely the weather was going to cooperate, I called Amerz up and she was able to bring Degen and Senna with her to the airport to meet me.

So, got to the airport around noon after a quick stop for a Subway, figured I could munch on that as Paul reviewed my flight plan. Finished flight planning, lunch, got an abbreviated weather briefing, and filed all 3 legs of my flight plan. Did a preflight, and the wheels where off the ground at 1:10 pm. Ride to Merrill was pretty uneventful, after opening the flight plan and clearing Eau Claire's class delta, then picked up flight following from Minneapolis approach which quickly handed me over to Minneapolis Center. Ride was quite bumpy for a bit, we are starting to get into summer and all the convective columns rising from the heated surface of the earth. I had absolutely no problems on this leg, it was almost identical to the Medford cross country, just another 26 miles past. Picked out all my checkpoints, center terminated my radar coverage just as I caught sight of Merrill and began my descent. Nobody else in the area, had a nice touch down that Amy and family got to see. After closing the flight plan, got to show Degen the cockpit, that was really fun (and I am sure Degen was excited too), I got some pictures...






After about 20 minutes of chatting with Amy and Degen, Senna was a bit shy and tired, got to use the restroom, pickup a bottle of water from the FBO, and I was off to Wisconsin Rapids. Again, uneventful trip, it was a short hop so I didn't want to do flight following, instead I got into contact with Mosinee/Central Wisconsin tower controller, and just advised of my position and he indicated there was no other traffic southbound to Wisconsin Rapids. Still a little bumpy, but I was on the ground in KISW before I knew it. Taxi back, couldn't get a hold of FSS to close the flight plan, took off and started heading back to Eau Claire. Finally got a hold of FSS, close/open the flight plan, just about leveling off at 6500 and got flight following again from Minneapolis center. Found my first checkpoints, and then was over Nellsville airport. While enroute I was monitoring 122.0 for any activity in the MOA since I was flying through part of it. Once over Nellsville I could pick out Lake Eau Claire and Lake Wissota, so I knew exactly where Eau Claire was, but no matter, I dialed in the VOR to 112.9 and followed roughly the 115* toward Eau Claire. Cleared for right traffic landing on runway 4, touched down in Eau Claire at 4:20 pm, after mains down, I brought the nose down a little harder than I like, but she held together. It was a nice crabbed landing into the wind. I am better at those landings, still not smooth greasers, but I am landing on the spots I want to and able to land straight without sideload on the mains, despite variable winds.

Overall a great flight, I felt much more in control. Not sure if I am ready for the test yet, but my I was able to maintain my altitudes much better and stay ahead of the plane. Fun time! I am now transitioning to PTS test preparation, I will be flying with Paul a few more times until he thinks I am ready, and it still might be a bit, but I am so close! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Proprietors of Chateau del Mulsoff said...

It certainly looked like he had fun. You too!

Mucho proud, bro. Keep up the good work!

yo mama said...

Too cool!! Degen sure looked liked he had fun with his Uncle Dennis!