Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lesson 16 - Great Googly Moogly, I just SOLOED!

I am told that you will forever remember the day you first flyAdd Video an airplane by yourself. I hope that is true, because this will be a day I hope to always cherish forever. My mind is such a whirlwind, I am still in a daze, dumbstruck that this actually happened. I also can't help but reflect how far I have come, obviously in my piloting skills, but as a person renewed by my faith to overcome my fears and turn them into joy. There are so many people to thank, my wife Laura for supporting me so fervently, always pushing me to go forward even when I doubted myself. My entire family, especially my brother Bryan for helping me get over those first hurdles, and spark my interest in aviation. Finally, God and our savior Jesus Christ, for walking besides me to give me strength, ahead of me to guide me, and behind me when I have fallen. I ran into some folks over these past few months that give me that stupefied look when I tell them I am learning to fly, and that I am about to be a Dad in less than 3 weeks. I am sure they think I am absolutely crazy taking such risks. Without debating the risks (it really is very safe) with them, I instead smile because everytime I climb into a plane (or car for that matter) I am reminded of how much fear and anxiety I have surrendered to God, and how truly rewarding and liberating that is. I am simply content knowing I am in God's hands.
Alright, I know many want me to get on with it, but I really wanted to acknowledge the help and true credit for this absolutely incredible day! As a birthday gift from my parents, in-laws, and Laura, I purchased a used headset over the weekend on EBay, which according to Fedex tracking arrived today while I was at work. I was watching the winds all day, they were slight (at most 5 kts) and usually at 330*, which is straight down the runway. So, with the winds looking so favorable, although the ceilings were questionable, I called Laura earlier to join me at the airport. I had an ulterior motive, I wanted to try my new headset, and I figured there could be
an outside chance I would solo, but I honestly didn't think it was going to happen today.

Got to the airport, Laura took some pictures as I preflighted the plane. I was rather surprised to hear the wind was now at 020*, but still slight at 4 kts. That meant some slight crosswinds, nuts! So, usual checklists, all good. This was the first flight after the mechanics did an oil change, so were extra careful to keep a close watch on oil temp and pressure, in all phases of the flight, but especially turning our takeoff roll. We started with a short field takeoff, this was new. We use 10* degrees flaps, hold the breaks, full throttle, release the breaks, accelerate to 55kts, rotate, accelerate to Vx speed (best angle of climb, which is 65 kts), clear any obstacles, then retract flaps and normal climb out. Proceeded to have some very nice landings, the slight winds made it much easier to control. Did a simulated engine out, although I setup ok, I had a brain fart, and did things out of order. I let my desire to not get too far away from airport distract from the procedure: best glide, find your sport, once you have the runway made, use flaps as necessary. But I messed that all up, I put in a notch of flaps WAY too early, turned toward the runway WAY too early, and was forced to push the plane down with full flaps. It would have worked in an emergency, but it was poorly executed, although I got an "atta boy!" from the tower controller. We decided to do a go around, full power, watch that pitch up with full flaps, slowly retract, accelerate, positive rate of climb, and another round! I think we did another landing or two, the last one I had a small bounce, but I was able to recover. So, when Jack said, "Ok, time for a full stop", I figured we were done for the day, we were only up for 1.0 hours, and I figured he didn't want to burn me out. We were still on the runway, working our way towards our intersection when Jack said, "Time for me to get out and you to do this by yourself." Gulp. I asked, "Are you serious?" "He said yep, you are ready, lets take it back to parking." That was a long fricken taxi ride, I could feel myself getting so nervous already. We got back, shut it down, we had to get my log book signed and endorsed to make it all legal. Jack took a while to get it signed, not sure what took him so long, but it gave me extra time to pace in front of Laura. She was great! She kept

saying, "you can do this, you are going to do great!" Jack finally returned, but motioned to me to follow him back inside, he showed me the expected Menards jets inbound, and what I would need to work with. So, armed with my endorsed log book, I went through the checklists again, fired up N588BR. As I began to taxi, the first of the Menards jets were already on the ground, so no issues there. My taxi to the end of the runway went so fast, I barely had enough time to say an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be. I did and it helped a lot. Got down to runway 4, did my normal, meticulous run-up procedures. Flipped over to tower frequency, and heard the other Menards jet just turned final and was cleared to land as I was easing to the hold short line. After the frequency cleared, I announced, "Eau Claire Tower, Cessna 588BR, holding short, runway 4, ready for takeoff." Of course, I fully expected, "Continue holding short, landing traffic". At that moment, I choose let the fear in for just a few moments, but only then. My knees were shaking so much, it felt like it took all my effort to stay on the brakes so I didn't accidentally go onto the runway ahead of the landing jet.

As the jet landed and cleared the runway, I heard the tower controller, "Cessna 588BR, cleared for take off runway 4, make closed left traffic, report each base." Gulp. Here we go. "Cleared for take off, runway 4, make left traffic, will report each base, 8BR". I ease onto the runway, one last check of the instruments, and double check what can kill you! (In Jack's words), Gas On, Mixture Rich! Ok, throttle in, stay on centerline, oil pressure and temperature still look good. There is rotate speed, pull back gently, lower the nose, accelerate to 80 kts, climb out. Holy crap! I am in the air all by myself and I said to myself, you are now committed, only you can get yourself down now! As expected, being 200 lbs lighter, the performance was much improved, I
hit pattern altitude just a few moments after turning downwind. I also noticed the airplane seemed "bouncier", more nimble. I said to myself, "enjoy this, soak it in, but remember you have a job to do!" And before I knew it, I was doing my prelanding checklist, and starting my descent abeam the numbers. "Eau Claire Tower, Cessna 588BR, requesting Stop and Go, runway 4". Jack didn't want me to do a touch-and-go, he wanted me to stop physically on the runway, retract the flaps, and then take off again. It also helps 04/22 is over 8000 ft long, plenty of room to do that. I proceeded to have an outstanding landing, probably one of my best. YESSSSS!!!!!! I can't believe I just soloed, but I get to do two more!! Once stopped, retracted my flaps, throttle in, and around for another go. Another round, another nice landing. Then my final round, came in a bit high, had to reduce engine to idle and through in all my flaps. I also had a bit more of a crosswind, so my weakness on this started to show. Toward the flare, my sink rate was a bit high, didn't compensate with enough throttle, so I landed with a thud, and a bit of a swerve, so of course I end with a not-so-stellar landing, but I could walk away and they can use the plane again. Taxied back to the Heartland ramp, where Jack and Laura were waiting with smiles almost as wide as mine.

Holy smokes! I can't believe I just flew a plane all by myself! It was also so much fun to hear Laura recount her experience on the ground observing me with Jack. She took lots of pictures, so I will post a few here. They had a portable, hand-held radio so they could hear all my radio calls, and of course watched each pass. Laura said Jack really like my first two landings, calling the first a "textbook landing!" Of course, Jack noticed my last landing as a bit "interesting." We took lots of pictures and enjoyed rehashing the flight, I know I went through a longer than usual spell of "stalled progress," and I know Jack was very satisfied to see me break through it. Jack mentioned to Laura while I was flying that he wasn't sure if it would happen today, so it really was a bit of divine intervention that brought Laura here to observe. The absolute frustration I felt not more than two weeks ago seems like a decade old memory. Wow!

So, what's next? Jack wants me to pick an airport I want to visit for a cross country, all right! This is going to be fun!! He said I can take a shot at planning the flight myself, and we'll go over it together. Not sure if that will happen this weekend or next week, depends on the weather, plans for the weekend, and perhaps baby might have something to say about it.
Some folks hit solo, a major milestone, and quit. But I am really invigorated to keep pressing on, I can't wait for the cross country! So, another 1.0 hours dual instruction received, AND 0.5 hours Pilot In Command (PIC) time! Woot!!!!
Pictures below and more to follow!




Preflighting




Taxing with Jack







Final Advice from Jack



First Solo Taxi (lots of prayer time)



First Solo Take Off!




First Solo Landing (hard to see)




All smiles for the new pilot!

Jack Congratulates


The proud wife with her pilot

3 comments:

Marty said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I've been anxiously refreshing your blog since I read that the pre-solo written exam was done.

Believe it or not, the hard part is over. You might have a little trouble with your first few cross country flights (feeling overwhelmed by so much going on in such a short span of time), but the basics of taking off and landing are the "art" part of flying. Navigating to your destination is the "science"... it might take a bit, but it's logical and somehow seemed more "intellectual" to me than the process of learning to land.

Again, congratulations PILOT!

Dennis said...

Thanks so much, it was such an awesome time! I can't wait for the cross countries, I think that "science" part I will get a lot easier than the "feel" part of flying.

Thanks again for your encouragment and support!

yo mama said...

Congrats!!! Couldn't be any prouder.