Monday, June 2, 2008

My Plan - Medical and Written First!

So, what is my overall strategy? Well, from what I've read, about half of student pilots quit because they fail to pass the written exam, either because they physically fail, or they can't muster the energy to study for it they eventually give up.

But even before the written, I need to get my medical certificate out of the way. I have my FAA physical scheduled for June 6th. I started with some concerns on this, my CFI mentioned it should be a breeze given my age, unless he said "you have a heart murmur or something..." Uh-oh. In 1997, I had what I believe a hypercautious physican declare I had a heart murmur. So I went through a battery of tests including an EKG and ECG. The result was the cardiologist couldn't find a murmur, and decided to classify it as a "benign" heart murmur. I consulted a AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) and told him my situation, he said I have never been diagnosed with a real heart murmur, and hence should not indicate that on my application. The FAA tends to err on the side of extreme caution, so if you say you have a condition, they assume you have the worst kind until supporting documentation proves otherwise. That means my recent treatments for migraines and GERD will need to be substantiated, but no worries, I have the statements by my doctors that my GERD is under control and my head MRI is clear, so I should have no roadblocks left.

So, back to the written. I have been studying the material at http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/, wow the material is exceptionally complete for a free resource. After fully digesting all this material, I plan to either rent some exam prep DVDs and/or an interactive ground school endorsement service like this one. My goal is to pass my written exam by the end of June, perhaps mid July. By then, the rearrangement of some finances should be in order, and I will be ready to begin flight lessons. If not, no rush! I am in no hurry, aviation will always be there, and I am committed to getting the written portion complete before spending any more money on flight lessons.

Once complete, I plan to dedicate 6-8 flight lessons per month. I expect this to fluctuate slightly with funds availability, shifting priorities for the month, and weather restrictions. At this rate, I can expect to finish as early as 5 months, but more likely 6-8 months depending quite frankly on my aptitude for flying.

Thanks!

1 comment:

yo mama said...

Well I guess you have got this all figured out. Good luck on you medical exam tomorrow!!!!